header 1
header 2
header 3

Okemos Area

Historical information and pictures

 

The history and lure of Chief Okemos   (click to read)

 

Compiled and written by Sherrie Paty '66



Originally the A.F. Barnes Store and built ca. 1893.  John O. Grettenberger, with his son Orin K., operated  a Pharmacy ca. 1900 (picture above).   This building was located at the south-east corner of "Old Grand River" (now Hamilton Rd) and Okemos Rd.  In the 1920's, the Grettenberger's moved the building accross the street of Okemos Rd. where they covered it in brick.  Oriin expanded the operation to include a soda fountain operated it into the 1980's.  The original is building is still there in 2017.

 

Okemos 1910

 

 

Downtown Okemos  circa 1915



A Look at Okemos Today

Walking Tour of the Village of Hamilton (Okemos) 2017

by Jane Rose, Friends of Historic Meridian



 

Cedar Bend Heights circa 1925



Indian Hills Golf Course 1929



 

 

Okemos Grain Elevator 1963

Owned by John F. Whitmeyer



The Okemos camel back bridge on Okemos Rd. (Okemos Central in the background)  1999

 

The Okemos Community Church  1978                      

                                                             Postcard by Ralph F. Turner 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

<<<<click book to read

Okemos Community Church 1963



 

Yankee Store on Grand River Ave. 1964

 

 

Meridian Mall 1964

 

 

Schmidts grocery store sign 1965

 

 

 

Meijers Thrifty Acres, in October 1969

At the corner of Grand River Ave and Okemos Rd.

 

 

 

Okemos 1970s

 

 

Tacoma Hills, Lagoon Dr., flood of 1975

 

 

Crest Drive-In 1959