Keep up to date with alumni on this page.
If you or your classmates are doing something interesting or important, send me Information and Links to email@example.com and I will share it here.
ADMINISTRATORS OF THE OKEMOS ALUMNI WEBSITE WILL ONLY POST ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM EXTERNAL SOURCES IF THOSE ANNOUNCEMENTS MAY BE OF SPECIFIC INTEREST TO OHS GRADUATES, DO NOT RESULT IN DIRECT FINANCIAL GAIN TO THE PERSON(S) REQUESTING THE ANNOUNCEMENT; AND ANNOUNCEMENTS MEET ANY OTHER RELATED POLICIES GOVERNING OHS ALUMNI WEBSITE CONTENT.
Current High School news on this link, click here=> OkemosHighSchool.org
- Ariel Hart Anderson 1971 to be honored with the Distinguished Teaching Award by Western Michigan University. The University will honor three faculty members for being exceptional educators and mentors and demonstrating outstanding dedication to their work. The the Distinguished Teaching Award is the highest honor given by the University to recognize faculty members for their work with students.
Distinguished Teaching Award is the highest honor given by the University to recognize Dr. Andersson for her work with students.
Mike McGilliard 1965
was honored with his 1967 NCAA championship wrestling team at Spartan Stadium during the Iowa game (9-29)
- Katie Slivensky 2003 was in Okemos this week, sharing her middle-reader novel "The Countdown Conspiracy." Katie, a scientist with the Museum of Science in Boston, shared her path to becoming a writer with OHS students in a special writers’ workshop on 9/28/17. She also visited with students at both Kinawa and Hiawatha (where she attended elementary school) and did a community outreach event at Class of 2003 graduate Katie Slivensky was in Okemos this week, sharing her middle-reader novel "The Countdown Conspiracy." Katie, a scientist with the Museum of Science in Boston, shared her path to becoming a writer with OHS students in a special writers’ workshop on 9/28/17. She also visited with students at both Kinawa and Hiawatha (where she attended elementary school) and did a community outreach event at Schuler Books in Okemos. Pictured here is Katie with her book (right), along with OHS English teacher Amy Huntley, whom the author credits with challenging her to improve her writing. How nice to see Katie and hear about her impressive accomplishments as a young alum.Schuler Books in Okemos. Pictured here is Katie with her book (right), along with OHS English teacher Amy Huntley, whom the author credits with challenging her to improve her writing. How nice to see Katie and hear about her impressive accomplishments as a young alum.
- Bruce Brenneise 2001 has been officially announced as a winner in the Illustrators of the Future Contest. The contest, one of the most prestigious illustration competitions,
- Tom Yunck '67 launched his first of a constellation of weather and earth measurement satellites! His 7 year old company, GeoOptics, may completely change weather and climate forcasting. Here's the link, look for GeoOptics or CICERO 6
- Gilbert Conklin '65 died last week of June 19, 2017. His brother Dan will post the obiturary.
- Dree Look '78 died April 27, 2017. A brief and unesxpected illness ended the Okemos Athletic Hall of Fame winner.
- Elizabeth Ann Atkins '85 Writer and Actress recently published a co-authored biography of Roy Roberts
- Hans Wiegand '63 was highlighted in our Athletic History page of this website
- Mike McGilliard '65 was highlighted in our Athletic History page of this website
- John Turner '65 directed a documentary aired Nationally on PBS, in Feburary, 2017. WKAR (Mid-Michigan) aired Korla during the month of February on WORLD Channel
Debbie Lincoln '69 has published an historical novel about her family, called Agnes Canon's War
Kristen Rasmussen '96 comes back to Okemos!
- Taylor Moton '12 Football hero wins MAC Championship at Western Michigan University
- ...and now he is an NFL Draft Pick (click his name to read all the articles)
- Ann Blomquist '63 received the Volunteer Service Award at the OEF Awards Banquet on Nov. 17, 2016. Ann (Helmic) and husband, Bob, have been Bennett Woods 3rd-grade volunteers every Tuesday and Thursday for 14 years!
- Bruce Gardner '63 died October 18, 2016. Any information is in the In Memory page. Post your memories and condolenses.
- Michael Litos '98 to receive the Okemos Alumni Outstanding Achievement Award at the Annual Awards Banquet on November 17, 2016.
- Debbie Freiberg '68, Jim '70, Bill '72 and Rich '76, announce the passing of their father, Walter, on September 1, 2016 at age 90. Post your condolences and memories to their Profiles.
- Arlo Peterson '65 died July 9, 2016 in Cadillac, Michigan. For additional information, see the highlight obituary in the In Memory Section or Click here Arlo Peterson. There was a memorial Chat session held on this website on Sunday, July 17, 2016 and included Maija, Martha and David Peterson. Wally Reese transcribed the entire chat and is posted at the end of Arlo's memorial. Please post your memories on the Arlo Peterson portion of the In Memory section as part of our collective effort to remember this very special person.
- Class of '65 donated over $2,500 to Okemos with funds raised at its 50th reunion in October 2015. $1,000 was donated to Chippewa Middle School Drama and $1,500 to Okemos High School Drama, to produce Musicals. In addition, the Class presented a $600 professional portable sound system for use by Music/Choir/Drama for "touring" performances. The gifts were presented during a Chippewa concert by Dave Brower, Class '65 Treasurer.
- Bob Bratzler '64 invented a Bio-feedback system for overcoming pain and depression. The new device is ready for market and will be by perscription only.
- Rod Ellis '65 was elected to the Board of Directors of the Okemos Education Foundation 1/1/2016